On October 26, thousands went to the Capitol to protest mass surveillance. StopWatching.US, a coalition of which DownsizeDC.org is proud to be a part, organized this event. Instead of being marginalized, it received a good deal of mainstream media coverage. See the progress at our blog.
Rep. Alan Grayson is the author of a highly-recommended op-ed. He says Congressional oversight of the NSA is a joke.
It inspired me to go to DownsizeDC.org and tell Congress that “I deny consent to government criminality.” I hope you join me.
You may add this sample letter in the personal comments section...
End the criminal lying and secrecy surrounding the NSA spying program…
- NSA chief Keith Alexander and DNI James Clapper lied to Congress — a felony. But neither were fired or prosecuted
- One long-serving conservative Republican says he doesn't attend intelligence briefings anymore, because, "they always lie” (http://bit.ly/18j23A0)
Behind the lies there’s paranoia and crimes against the First Amendment...
- Alexander said the media should be “stopped” from investigating the NSA (http://bit.ly/18TJruw)
- Obama has prosecuted more whistleblowers than all previous Presidents combined (http://bit.ly/1eOKHAM)
- American journalist Glenn Greenwald, who first published the Snowden leaks, is in exile, because he’d be arrested if he came back to the U.S. (http://bit.ly/1eOKHAM)
Worse, Congressional Intelligence Committees show more loyalty to the NSA than to the Constitution...
- Rep. Alan Grayson was repeatedly denied access to classified information he requested from the House Intelligence Committee, even though he had security clearance. (http://bit.ly/18j23A0)
- Senate Intelligence Chairman Dianne Feinstein brazenly spread NSA lies in a recent Wall Street Journal op-ed. (http://bit.ly/15Lm0T7)
Many in Congress are fed up. And I’m glad to hear it! Rep. Sensenbrenner, author of the original Patriot Act, is now co-authoring the USA Freedom Act (S.1599). This bill would stop the bulk collection of American’s telephone records and increase transparency about National Security Letters and other forms of warrantless spying.
BETTER YET, Rep. Holt’s Surveillance State Repeal Act (HR 2818) would REPEAL the Patriot Act and FISA Amendments Act.
But these bills address different concerns. And that’s why I want you to…
Repudiate the criminal actions of the Administration and the Congressional Intel Committees by co-sponsoring and voting for BOTH bills.
Stand for the American people, not for the NSA!
— END OF SAMPLE LETTER —
But don’t stop there! State level nullification can be a tool to shut down the new Utah data center of the NSA. Downsize DC is a national coalition partner in the campaign to…
The campaign is about to launch, and you can start following it on Facebook.
If you value these action alerts and appreciate our coalition work, please consider starting a monthly pledge or making a generous one-time contribution.