Quote of the Day: “If privacy is outlawed, only outlaws will have privacy.” — Philip Zimmermann
Next week, the House is expected to vote on CISPA, the “cybersecurity” bill that attacks your privacy.
The hardwired message says...
As a constituent, I insist that you oppose any attempts to undermine Internet freedom.
You may borrow from or copy these additional comments...
That’s why you should oppose CISPA (HR 624).
Networks have the right to defend themselves from attacks. But I want the services to which I subscribe to ALSO compete with each other to see who can provide me, their customer, with the best identity protection. This is common sense...
Decentralized, diversified cybersecurity systems, operating in a voluntary and free environment, minimize damage from any particular attack.
CISPA goes the opposite direction.
Worse, the House Intelligence Committee ignored weeks of patient, grassroots demands to provide greater privacy protections. As a result, CISPA... (http://cnet.co/10Nx10N)
* Allows the military and the NSA to collect my personal information...
* Allows companies to keep, rather than delete, my personal, confidential information even in violation of the privacy policies we mutually agreed to...
* Seems to allow companies to preemptively hack “suspected” cyber-attackers, in violation of the presumption of innocence.
CISPA essentially allows private corporations to...
* violate the Fourth Amendment on the federal government’s behalf, and...
* even launch criminal cyber attacks under cover of Congressional legislation.
In short, CISPA is an attack on the sanctity of contracts and the rule of law. It’s also an attack on the freedoms we enjoy via the Internet.
If Congress passes CISPA, it will only further prove that it has lost legitimacy and the consent of the people. This will increase the need to explore new forms of government.
If you found this action item valuable please share with others who are prone to be like-minded. Better yet, share the letter you sent with those friends.
You can follow Jim Babka on Twitter @JimBabka