On Monday and Tuesday we sent you educational items from The Downsize DC Foundation. That means it's a good time to remind you that there are actually two Downsize DC organizations . . .
* DownsizeDC.org, Inc. -- we call it Dot Org for short -- educates and applies pressure on Congress. Dot Org is what the IRS calls a 501c4. The 4 at the end is what allows us to "lobby" Congress.
* The second organization is The Downsize DC Foundation. It's what the IRS calls a 501c3. The 3 at the end prohibits the Foundation from doing lots of things, but one thing The Foundation can legally do is use tax deductible contributions to fund public education.
In a perfect world, or at least a better one than we currently live in . . .
* There would be neither an IRS, nor IRS numbers and rules for what organizations can and cannot do
* There would be only one Downsize DC organization, or . . .
* No Downsize DC at all, because government would be reduced to its proper role of defending against coercion, rather than constantly being the main source of coercion. Or . . .
* The version of Downsize DC that did exist would only be charged with "eternal vigilance," educating the public in order to forever restrain The State within it's proper bounds.
Well, this is the world we're trying to get to, and NOT the world we live in now. Our ideas for how to create this better world are best expressed in a document called The Downsize DC Vision. It's our fondest wish that we could persuade everyone to read this document. If you haven't read it yet, you can do so here.
Or, we send printed copied to all first-time contributors. You can contribute here.
Young Americans for Liberty has invited us to send "The Downsize DC Vision" to its 90 college campus organizations. We are happy to oblige. It is much easier to set fresh minds on the proper path, than it is to persuade older minds to abandon well-established beliefs. Unfortunately, this particular educational project will be a little bit expensive.
The Downsize DC Vision is a nice package. It costs about $2, and ideally we'd like to send not just one to each campus organization, but one for each member of each campus group. It would take about 1,000 copies and $2,000 to do this.
And thank you for your support of both Downsize DC organizations.
Jim Babka, President
Downsize DC Foundation
& The DownsizeDC.org, Inc.